Monday, January 01, 2007
2007
Coming back to Singapore is really a dive back into my comfort zone. The whole atmosphere is reeking with "Singaporeanism". I really dunno how to explain it, but if you've been overseas for a considerable amount of time and come back home, you probably get the gist of what i'm trying to shoot at. Some call it the 'kiasu' culture, some the competitive spirit that's embedded in Singaporeans, right from the top CEOs down to the ah-sohs haggling prices for fish at the wet market. Perhaps it's the intensity and fast-paced life we have here, that makes everything seem to happen so instantaneously and in your face. There's bustling activity & noise everywhere, and not to mention... the God-forbidden crowds... i think the gah-men should review their population census records. I'm sure there's an error somewhere. There can't possibly be only 4 million odd people on this little chip of an island. My estimates put it around 362 million. Hmm.
Well, I must say that I do appreciate certain things back home as well. As any true blue Singapore, I relish in the local delights & the fact that food courts aren't a cluster of fast-food restaurants like in Western countries, but a cluster of a real variety of foods. And the food is freaking CHEAP! I was so shocked when the chicken rice uncle told me $7.50 for 3 packets of rice. Having been so used to paying that same amount & more for just ONE meal overseas, it's great just to know that good food can come cheap :)
In the past week i've been back, besides engaging in the usual Singaporean thing - i.e. battling the crowds in town to get the best sale bargains (i must digress here - the variety & quantity of STUFF here is mind-blowing man!!! Do we import like too much of everything or what?!?! I'm floored), and tantalizing my taste buds with my fave local foods (although in a very careful way... trying to shed some weight here), the 2 key highlights of the week was going to watch Budak Pantai's "UnPlucked" concert at the Esplanade, and attending RC's wedding on New Year's Eve.
Budak Pantai is absolutely fantabulous. LOVE IT. You must get their CD - i recommend "Budakumentary" or their upcoming one which will be out in July 2007, titled (this is classic) "Budak jumps over the wall"... bwahaha... Listen and learn.
Was the bridesmaid or "jie-mei" for RC's wedding. Quite an experience... I enjoyed it overall & it was really beautiful. Simple and tastefully done, it really was a nice way to end the year. There were a few interesting incidents in that day too. My shoes were stolen & found again; the reaquaintance with certain pple, and a friendly photographer.
So 2006 goes, and welcome 2007... afraid my blog hasn't been much in 06, but i'll still keep posting stuff on it now & then anyway. Definitely more frequently when i'm back from overseas in mid 2007.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]