Tuesday, January 24, 2006
Great expectations
I just heard something on class 95 FM that kinda made me stop in my tracks for a moment. Well, some of you perhaps figured this out already, but nonetheless, i felt that it was worded quite well.
"For a relationship to work, you need two halves to make a complete whole. But the two halves themselves must be complete first."
Yeah, it kinda made me reflect on my own condition. Don't really know why, but the past few days, memories of what once-has-been have been coming back to my mind. More of the positive and pleasant memories, but a few bad ones as well. And as my mind took me back to those times, i guess i embarked on a little self-discovery... but i suppose for my own story, the one main thing i have experienced and am still learning to master, is this:
I learnt that one should never expect anything from another person. It will lead to disappointment 9 out of 10 times. Not being cynical here, but the truth is, we often place our secret hopes & desires on our partner, and when they don't meet our standards, he/she "fails" us, even though he/she may not have done anything wrong and might be perfectly wonderful as a person. So the problem lies with our own judgemental self. And for that, i repent and must continue to repent. On the other hand, don't expect that you can change your partner. I once thought i could, with good intentions of course, but i failed miserably and ended up becoming quite disillusioned with him and jaded with certain things.
"For a relationship to work, you need two halves to make a complete whole. But the two halves themselves must be complete first."
Yeah, it kinda made me reflect on my own condition. Don't really know why, but the past few days, memories of what once-has-been have been coming back to my mind. More of the positive and pleasant memories, but a few bad ones as well. And as my mind took me back to those times, i guess i embarked on a little self-discovery... but i suppose for my own story, the one main thing i have experienced and am still learning to master, is this:
I learnt that one should never expect anything from another person. It will lead to disappointment 9 out of 10 times. Not being cynical here, but the truth is, we often place our secret hopes & desires on our partner, and when they don't meet our standards, he/she "fails" us, even though he/she may not have done anything wrong and might be perfectly wonderful as a person. So the problem lies with our own judgemental self. And for that, i repent and must continue to repent. On the other hand, don't expect that you can change your partner. I once thought i could, with good intentions of course, but i failed miserably and ended up becoming quite disillusioned with him and jaded with certain things.
Comments:
<< Home
I agree :)
Sometimes, when you have a bf, you will think.. ahh he's like this but I think it will be better if he is like that. Or you might think you are super and can change him.
Sometimes it works but most of the time you will be very disappointed. But isn't this human nature?
I guess that's why old married couples stop "changing" each other and just love who the other person is. That's why they can get married for so long I guess.
But I interprete the "whole person" phrase as not looking for a relationship just because you need one or lack something. In other words, you must feel happy, satisfied with yourself and then find your true love.
Post a Comment
Sometimes, when you have a bf, you will think.. ahh he's like this but I think it will be better if he is like that. Or you might think you are super and can change him.
Sometimes it works but most of the time you will be very disappointed. But isn't this human nature?
I guess that's why old married couples stop "changing" each other and just love who the other person is. That's why they can get married for so long I guess.
But I interprete the "whole person" phrase as not looking for a relationship just because you need one or lack something. In other words, you must feel happy, satisfied with yourself and then find your true love.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

